The Very Best of British - The American's guide to speaking British...
 Importing to UK:
- Home
- Worth it?
- Shipping
- Customs
- Insurance
- Modifications
- Registration
- Maintenance

The Very Best of British - The American's guide to speaking British...
 My other stuff...
- Search Site
- Import Links
- The Best of British
- Brit Links
- Funnies


  I found insurance expensive in the US, though that may have been because I was an 'alien'. One thing I did find useful was taking a letter from my UK insurer confirming my 6 years of no claims and the same when I returned. It's important to make sure you find an insurer who will accept this kind of proof of status or you will end up back at the beginning.

UK insurance works on a basic price that is reduced depending on years of 'no claims'. This is called your 'no claims bonus'. The maximum NCB is around 60% which gives you 60% off the basic price of the insurance policy, so you can see it is important to get right!

The other thing about UK insurance is that it is an annual policy, not just 6 months as I was shocked to discover it was in the US (only becuase it was already double the price before I found out it was 6 months - four times the price I was used to in a full year!).

There are two basic forms of car insurance here in the UK; Third party, fire and theft, or fully comprehensive. The first basically covers your requirements for other parties and the latter provides for all risks. My examples will be for fully comprehensive cover.

First of all you need to shop around for insurance. The quotes I have had have ranged from 400 to 1000 this year for the same thing. Mention that the car is imported from the US early in the calls since many companies will tell you they cannot insure imports and you save 10 minutes each time. There is nothing more frustrating than giving every detail only to be told they cannot help you!

Below I list the companies I have used each year since I have had the car in the UK. Recommendations of American Car insurers from other people who have contacted me are listed in my Import Links page.

Remember you will need insurance cover before you can drive your car away from the port so do it early. My insurer sorted it out 2 hours before I went down to collect my latest import, but I already knew them and would suggest you do it once you know the collection date of your car. You can insure an unregistered car based on the VIN number alone, as long as you update the registration details when you have them (usually they'll give you up to 30 days).

Insurers I have used to date

  • Stuart Collins & Co
    114 Walter Road
    SA1 5QQ
    Tel: +44-1792-655562/642382
    Fax: +44-1792-651126

  • Adrian Flux (Car Insurance)
    London Road
    Kings Lynn
    PE30 5ES
    Tel: +44-8700-777888
    Fax: +44-1553-762119

  • Hill House Hammond - best deal for the last 4 years!
    Specialist Vehicle Unit
    11-13 Broadway
    PE1 1SQ
    Tel: +44-1733-310899
    Fax: +44-1733-893626

email sales